Saturday, March 19, 2011

Why this is a safety issue

Since December, the number of incidents on the bridge has been alarming. Lately I been keeping a close eye on the tweets made by MoDOT from their StLouisTraffic twitter feed, and the number of incidents have increased since this blog was started. Besides the all too obvious incident on December 8 here is a short list of other notable incidents that did happen (some of the links provided have images that is disturbing):

December 19 late afternoon incident that had a stalled pickup and a tractor-trailer, in a fashion too similar to what happened on December 8. The only difference was that the pickup driver decided to run away from the scene, and ended up walking away from this. Like the December 8 incident, the bridge had to be shut down completely to clear the scene, but only for 2 hours instead of 10 hours.

January 9, 2011 had another rear-ender that started with a stalled vehicle in the westbound lanes. This one did not completely close the bridge but the damage was done as traffic was down to one lane to clear it.

On February 18, a car loses control and flips in the westbound lanes, causing traffic again to go down to one lane.

Here is some of the various tweets that MoDOT posted since December through their StLouisTraffic page:

  1. StLouisTraffic CLEARED: EB I-270 @ MISSISSIPPI RIVER
  2. StLouisTraffic NEW: STALLED TT EB I-270 @ MISSISSIPPI RIVER RL
  3. StLouisTraffic CLEARED: EB I-270 AT CHAIN OF ROCKS
  4. StLouisTraffic NEW: STALL EB I-270 AT CHAIN OF ROCKS RL
  1. StLouisTraffic CLEARED: EB I-270 AT MISS RIVER
  2. StLouisTraffic NEW: CRASH EB I-270 AT MISS RIVER ALL LNS CLOSED
  3. StLouisTraffic CLEARED: EB I-270 AT MISSISSIPPI RIVER
  4. StLouisTraffic NEW: STALL EB I-270 AT MISSISSIPPI RIVER RL
  5. StLouisTraffic CLEARED: WB I-270 AT MISSISSIPPI RVR BRDGE
  6. StLouisTraffic NEW: STALL WB I-270 AT MISSISSIPPI RVR BRDGE RL
  7. StLouisTraffic CLEARED: WB I-270 AT MISSISSIPPI RIVER
  8. StLouisTraffic NEW: CRASH WB I-270 AT MISSISSIPPI RIVER CLOSED

No comments:

Post a Comment